Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Author Interview Jeremy Ephe

Today, I'd like to introduce you to Jeremy Ephe. This expat is merrily dancing along the line between poet and novelist. He has a growing following on Twitter and a rather interesting slant on writing. I hope you enjoy his interview as much as I did! Let's get started!

Top 3 favorite foods?
#1 has to be mom’s lasagna, especially when she uses the spicy sausage. Yes I am comfortable enough with my sexuality to say “spicy sausage”.
#2 is my wife’s cooking, not because I have to say that either. She isn’t afraid to try new dishes all the time and makes sure I eat healthy foods.
#3. Is tequila a food group yet?
Top 3 favorite movies or TV shows?
Top 3 movies are easy and I could rant about any of them for an obnoxiously long (boring) period of time. “Life is Beautiful” “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” and “Into the Wild”.
Top 3 authors and why?
ee cummings is the reason I write, hands down. That man has a way with words that continues to inspire me. The dark side of me really enjoys to sit down with Cormac McCarthy. It has just recently been pointed out to me how much reading Ayn Rand when I was younger influenced my formidable philosophies on life. She might not be my first choice as a mentor today, but I am not going to start fibbing about my roots this early in an interview.
Where can we find previous written work?
Both of my books have been self-published on Amazon (one poetry collection and one novella) and can be found under my name Jeremy Ephe.  I continue to post new poetry on the site Allpoetry.com under the penname WV smooth.
What have you been working on more lately, poetry or fiction? Or something else?
I am always playing with poetry. My next work of fiction is in the works and is maybe two thirds of the way complete. It is going to be my first full length novel, and it is much more straight forward than my first stab at prose. I am learning the hard way that audiences don’t like to be so freaked out by an author right out of the gate. Let them know you are sane for you convince them you are crazy.
How long have you been writing?
The first time I ever got attention for my writing was in the eighth grade. I wrote a short story called “The Shoe” that was really just a metaphoric account of the death of my dog. Family members threaten to try and get it published as a children’s book to this day…twenty some years later. I can wait.
What was the first book you really loved reading and why?
I remember reading “Where the Red Ferns Grows” in middle school and bawling my eyes out. Any book that can evoke such a strong emotional response at an age when it wasn’t cool to cry has to be given accolades.
What sort of audience do you write for (YA, Adult, both)?
I don’t really write for an age range as much as mindset. My poetry challenges your attention span for sure. I think that if readers let go of a lot of the literal interpretation, the overall feel will hit them and stick.
When it comes to prose, I think I look to challenge an audience there too. My book, “Love as 8” should repulse its audience. I wanted to write a book in which there were no likable characters but I still wanted to hear laughter and cheers.
I know the books you have listed on Amazon are available in paperback. Do you think it is important for readers to have a physical copy?
Absolutely. I haven’t told many people (friends) that I write at all. Over the past year, I have bought copies of my books and mailed them to old friends out of the blue. Even if they can’t figure out how to contact me, I think it is a cool surprise to receive a random book in the mailbox. Sending that kind of magic out into the world makes me smile.
What are your thoughts on digital publishing? In your opinion, are physical books always going to exist or are they dying out?
I like to read with a pen in my hand. I make notes and revisit excerpts that I have highlighted. No doubt it is digital world, but a sand filled soggy copy of Charles Bukowski is a perfect companion for Sunday beach days.
Are you a morning person or a night owl?
Nighttime is never long enough. The world finally shuts up so the creative voice in my head can finally start preaching.
What would you say your week looks like? Do you have a set time to work, or is it more organic? Do you write every day?
I am totally going to steal a line from Hunter Thompson from when he was asked a similar question. “I consider myself a binge writer”. When the juices are flowing, I hit the keyboard. When the words don’t flow, I don’t force it and usually relegate myself to editing previously written chapters.
Do you write full time, or still hold down a day job?
I am an American living as an expat in a small beach town in Mexico. Life is slow, simple, and beautiful, but I need to hustle to make a buck. Writing doesn’t put many tacos in my belly.
If you had to only write one type of material, one genre for the rest of your career what would you choose?
I would love to be able to introduce myself as a poet.
Do you have a website or social media for people who would like to find out more? What’s the best way for fans to stay informed?
I have signed up on quite a few writer’s networking sites, all under the name Jeremy Ephe. I lean towards Twitter mostly to try and grab attention.
Are there any upcoming projects that you are particularly excited about?
“Cry Me Rutabaga” is upcoming novel. I am putting everything I got into that show pony.

No comments:

Post a Comment